Having a healthy sleeping schedule is more important than you might think. Getting a good night’s rest has more health benefits than just feeling rested the next day. Did you know that we spend nearly a third of our lives sleeping?
Our bodies are working hard to prepare us for the next day while we’re sleeping which makes sense as to why we feel more sluggish on days where we don’t get an adequate amount of sleep.
When you have good quality sleep, you’ll get:
- Better productivity and concentration
- Lower risk of heart disease
- Greater athletic performance
- Lower weight gain risk
- Mood boost
When you have poor quality sleep, you’ll get:
- Greater risk of heart disease and stroke
- Obesity, increased inflammation, and increased illness duration
- Psychiatric conditions such as depression and substance abuse
- Poorer quality of life
Don’t sleep on your sleep! Valuing your sleep schedule is just as important as being active and eating healthy. It’s a part of living a healthy lifestyle!
Next time, you want to stay up all night working or even studying just remember how important sleeping is to your health. Now, who's ready to get a good night's rest?