Did you know that antiperspirants are classified as a drug by the FDA?
Crazy, right? Want to know what's even crazier? Every few months, I would go to the store to grab a new stick of the same antiperspirant I had been using for years. It was easy and quick. I might not have changed my ways until I learned, to my surprise… That many traditional antiperspirants contain ingredients that could be harmful to my body. Mind blown!
Fact Check: Studies show that underarms can absorb 100% of the chemicals you can put on them
What ingredients in traditional antiperspirants should I avoid?
I decided to do some digging and I discovered the four ingredients you definitely should watch out for: aluminum, synthetic fragrances, phthalates, and parabens. (I did the hard research for you. You’re welcome. ◡̈)
- Aluminum is used in antiperspirants to prevent the healthy flow of sweat by clogging sweat pores, which allows aluminum to penetrate the skin and deposit in deeper tissues.
- Synthetic fragrances are made using chemicals derived from petrochemicals, some of which are known carcinogens such as benzene, to make aromas stronger
- Parabens are used to extend the shelf-life of traditional antiperspirants, but these chemicals can penetrate the skin and live in the tissue for long periods of time.
- Phthalates are another petrochemical commonly used in traditional antiperspirants. It is generally agreed within the medical and scientific community that phthalates are harmful to the body when used heavily or on a regular basis, so much so that the Congress has banned phthalates from being used in the production of children’s toys.
FACT CHECK: Congress has banned phthalates from being used in the production of children’s toys.
WHAT TO USE INSTEAD?
So, I began my search for a natural deodorant to replace antiperspirants… and none made the cut. They all reminded me of the tree in my front yard. That wasn’t necessarily a bad thing because I love trees, but I don’t want to smell like one. On top of that, it was virtually impossible to find a natural deodorant in a solid stick. It was even more impossible to find a natural deodorant that really worked against my stink.
Then I found Freedom Natural Deodorant. If what you’re trying to avoid are chemicals, then Freedom is the only natural deodorant that makes sense. Let me tell you why:
- Freedom Deodorant is 100% aluminum, paraben, phthalate, and synthetic fragrance-free
- Freedom is the solid stick deodorant that you’re familiar with--no sticking your hands in a jar to apply it.
- Freedom has a great selection of scents unlike other natural brands that only have one or two, and all of them smell amazing.
- The best part? Not only is it natural--it’s made with food-grade ingredients. SERIOUSLY: this deodorant is so safe for your body that you could eat it (but don’t, it probably doesn’t taste good)
As if all these reasons aren’t enough to LOVE Freedom, here’s another: each and every product is 100% cruelty-free and gives back to cancer research and charities.
In a nutshell:
- Antiperspirants are classified as an over-the-counter drug by the FDA because it's shown to alter your body’s natural functions.
- Know what ingredients you should be looking out for.
- Sweat is NOT your enemy.
- Choose a natural deodorant that will allow your body to sweat naturally.
What Are People Saying About Us?
fan favorite products
GET 20% OFF YOUR FIRST ORDER
Join our mailing list now to get an instant 20% welcome discount plus first access to new products & promotions.